Shan Sindhi Biryani
Meat on Bones, 1 kg / 2.2 lbs,small portions
Rice, Basmati 750g/ 3 ½ cups, washed & soaked
Tomatoes, 200g / 2-3 medium, thin round slices
Potatoes, 250g / 2 medium, peeled & quartered
Plain Yogurt, 100g / ½ cup, whipped
Onions, 175g / 2 medium, finely sliced
Garlic Paste, 2 tablespoons
Ginger Paste, 2 tablespoons
Small Green Chilies, 10-20, whole
Cilantro/Fresh Coriander, 1 cup, chopped
Mint Leaves, 1 cup, chopped
Cooking Oil, 175ml /1cup
Shan Sindhi Biryani Mix, 1 packet. mix in ½ cup water
Steps of Cooking
- Fry onions in hot oil until light golden. Add meat and garlic paste. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes on high heat.
- Add Shan Sindhi Biryani Mix, potatoes, yogurt, ginger paste and stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add water (Beef/Lamb 4 cups, Chicken 2 cups). Cover and cook on low heat until meat is tender. When cooked there should be about two cups of gravy left (If less add water, if more increase heat).
- Place sliced tomatoes, green chilies, fresh coriander and mint leaves over the meat. Do not mix meat and green masala. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Do not stir.
- Separately: In 15 cups / 3 liters of boiling water, stir in 3 tablespoons of Shan Salt and soaked rice. Boil rice until ¾ cooked. Remove and drain thoroughly.
- Spread cooked rice evenly over meat. Do not mix rice and meat. Cover and cook on low heat until rice is tender (5-10 minutes). Mix before serving.